Tuesday, September 13, 2011

ARG-it isn't just pirate speak

Well after some time researching what an Alternate Reality Game is I have found that I am still pretty unclear.  Like does World of Warcraft count as an ARG? is Second Life an ARG? or are they just MMORPGs? or just some virtual world that poses a social environment? My assumption is that most ARGs offer an educational value like http://willyoujoinus.com/energyville/ a game that offers education on oil resources and the environment.

However I did see some games that were more entertainment value rather than educational.  For instance when I Googled alternate reality games, well a lot of definitions came up, but I stumbled across an ARG for the show LOST.  It was basically just another way to market the show but for avid Lost watchers it is a way to become more active viewers and participate in the show.  The Lost ARG, and the Halo ARG both featured hidden codes on sponsoring commercials where fans and players alike logged on to wherever and entered the code for the next clue.

I guess my final thought, or question rather would be are ARGs synonymous with simulated reality?

No comments:

Post a Comment