Sunday, October 9, 2011

Lessig-Code: "they are more like guidelines anyway"


[reference is from Pirates of the Caribbean] 
Technically you could say that I have taken two ideas and mashed them up together to create a catchy title. And that is what remix/mashup is about, taking old ideas and giving them a fresh look.

Lessig is the man when it comes to copyright and remix! In a segment of Rip Remix Manifesto he says what is wrong with remixing…I’m creating…expressing,…I’m spreading ideas.

In his book Remix, Lessig says, “[Y]ou have to ‘give people a sense of being part of something that has meaning.’...Contributors to this community ‘feel they’re being part of something that’s big and important…They feel like they get to focus on things that they really want to focus on.’”

In this video, Lessig talks about how copyright are stifling creativity.  Clearly he is not saying that piracy is right, but I think this is where a lot of confusion and misunderstanding is with copyright and the law and mashups.  At least for me, I think that if I purchase and download a song from iTunes and then use it in something that I create, and give proper credit, I should be ok to use it.  

I don’t know if I necessarily agree with Michael Moore on some things but he does make a good point in this video.
boom!

I think that for the most part the Internet is pretty self-regulated.  However there are a few outliers that create problems where the government must step in, but how do they regulate with all of the ambiguity and without infringing on people’s rights.  In his book Code, I just want to know Lessig’s views on the Jake story example.  Where would he see fit regulation? Because for me I don’t think posting these stories about rape is harmless.  What are his ideas on how on how cyberspace should be if it doesn’t have to be like it is now? And finally if he is for collaboration and sharing ideas, as seen from clips from Rip Remix Manifesto and YouTube, how do these match up to his views on regulation?

No comments:

Post a Comment